10-07-2014, 09:10 PM
St. Peter's Pontifical Seminary, also known as the Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Theology of St. Peter's, or simply as St. Peter's Pontifical Seminary / Institute is the main Roman Catholic seminary, located in Bangalore, India.
After the suppression of the Society of Jesus in 1773 Carnatic, Madura and Mysore missions were entrusted to the Paris Society of overseas missions. These missionaries began seminary called Grand Seminere in 1778, in Ulgarpet, on the outskirts of Pondicherry. Reverend Busson, former Jesuit, served as the first rector of the seminary. Magny father took after him for 40 years. In 1788, that first initiation took place. At the end of 40 years, father rector Magny can count 13 ordained priests among students.
In 1790 the seminary was transferred to Pondicherry on what is currently Petit Seminere above high school. Seminary was renamed St. Joseph's Seminary. In the first 100 years of its existence, 49 indigenous priests were ordained from this seminary. In 1934 the seminary was moved to Bangalore. With papal Society of St. Peter the Apostle bears a significant part of the costs for the construction of the seminary building a new institution was named in honor of St. Peter. In 1942, the Seminary of St. Peter was officially declared by the Holy See as a regional seminary.
In 1966, the building was constructed section of theology and a new chapel. In 1962, the seminary was linked to the Pontifical Urban University in Rome , which raised the status of the Papal Seminary Seminary. December 12, 1968 with the recommendation of the Paris Society of overseas missions, local bishops was transferred to the administration of the seminary.