08-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Panjab University has a long tradition of conducting teaching excellence and research in science and technology, humanities, social sciences, arts and sports. The University supports research and innovation in academic programs, promotes research, scholarship and teaching and is committed to supporting the best students and teachers who excel in teaching and research. For more than a century, it has served various societal needs with distinction. Glorious traditions university established in the course of more than a hundred and thirty years of service while the nation since its inception in 1882 in Lahore (now in Pakistan) is a source of inspiration for the present generation of faculty members and students. By virtue of their age, experience, achievements and philosophy, the Panjab University is a University of national character and growth and draws both teachers and students from across the country and abroad. The faculty includes some of the most renowned scholars and academics. It continues to attract renowned scientists who interact with faculty and students. Over the years the reputation of Panjab University has grown into an innovative teaching, research and community outreach.
After partition in 1947, the university was restricted to work for almost a decade without a campus of its own. The administrative office was located at Solan and the teaching departments functioned from Hoshiarpur, Jalandhar, Delhi and Amritsar. In 1956 it was moved in Chandigarh. Pierre Jeanerette developed in red sandstone campus under the general guidance of the legendary Le Corbusier. Till organization of the Punjab in 1966, the University had its regional centers at Rohtak, Shimla and Jalandhar and its affiliated colleges was in the USA in the Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Union Territory of Chandigarh.
With the reorganization of Punjab University was an interstate body Corporate catering to the newly States of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab and Union Territory of Chandigarh. Gradually, the colleges Himachal and Haryana were affiliated with universities in their respective countries and Panjab University was left with affiliated colleges in the Union Territory of Chandigarh and parts of Punjab. The Advisory Committee of the Government of India approved, in 1976, the ratio of 60: 40 for the sharing of the deficit in the maintenance Panjab University by the State (through Chandigarh Administration) and the Government of Punjab, respectively. First, the government of Punjab limited their share of maintenance grant of Rs.16 crore but subsequently revised to Rs.20 crore, irrespective of their actual part based on the above stated relationship. To rethink the relationship between funds between Government of India and the Government of Punjab as well as finding the optimum ratio of assets to Panjab University, was a new internal ministerial advisory committee constituted by the Government of India. The committee recommended that the government can fund the university through UGC adjustment funds provided by the Government of Punjab and income from self-financing courses. The annual budgeted expenditures and revenues of the University of fiscal year 2012-13 amounted to Rs.302.83 crores and Rs 149.24 crores respectively.
Panjab University with its 75 teaching and research departments besides 15 centers / chairs for teaching and research at the main campus at Chandigarh, has more than 192 affiliated / constituent colleges spread over Punjab and Chandigarh additional regional centers at Muktsar, Ludhiana, Hoshiarpur and Kauni. In addition Vishveshawaranand VISHVA Bandhu Institute Sanskrit and Indological Studies (VVBIS & IS) at Hoshiarpur.