09-11-2014, 06:38 PM
A Historical Perspective
Govt.Medical College, Kozhikode is a premier medical college located in the city of Kozhikode in Kerala. It was founded in 1957 as the second medical college in Kerala. Since then the institution has grown into a center of medical education in the state of premier. Vast and sprawling Medical College campus covers an extensive area of 270 acres (1.1 km ²) and is located about 8 km east from the city of Kozhikode. It was formally affiliated to the University of Calicut and now at the University of Kerala for Health and Sciences (Kuhs). This college and allied institutions serve 40% of the population of Kerala.
The foundation stone of the college was laid on 29 May 1957 by the then Governor of Kerala, Dr. B. Ramakrishna Rao. The College was formally inaugurated August 5, 1957 by the then Minister of Health, Dr AR Menon Kerala, whose initiative and zeal were responsible for the establishment of the institution of the state. Dr KN Pisharoty, the first headmaster, was responsible for the task of organizing the college.
The main hospital was commissioned in 1966 with 1183 beds was later supplemented by the Institute of maternal and infant health in 1975 (610 beds), the stylus must Sarri Memorial Cancer Institute (101 beds) and the hospital breast (100 beds). A super specialty complex, the center of a new block for the Institute of maternal and child health, an artificial limb, the College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy, the incident (emergency services) complex, Samrakshana Kendram, and Vishrama Kendram were later added to the main establishment. The patient load is more than the commissioned beds in total. Due to the overload of the patient, the floors and hallways are usually occupied. Dental College was inaugurated on 16 April1984 and is a current operating as an independent committee.
From its modest beginning, the institution has grown steadily for more than 53 years. The annual intake of students has been increased from 50 to 250 Consolidation of university medical training was carried out in the sixties. 1970 witnessed the establishment and expansion of postgraduate medical training in the various branches. The college now offers PG in 28 disciplines. With the establishment of training programs in super specialties, the institution has further expanded its academic horizon. This college has now Super specialty courses in 10 departments. During the last decade have been developed almost all the modern facilities that specialize in medical care in the institution including kidney transplant. A well-equipped cardiac catheterization laboratory and Tele Cobalt therapy already exist in the hospital. A unit of medical education is working well equipped ... The Board also conducts degree courses and PG courses in nursing and pharmacy degree and diploma in medical laboratory technology. The medical library, almost all departments and offices of the College and hospitals are provided with computer facilities. Action has been taken for networking between hospitals, departments and offices.
The latest additions to the Collegiate Multistoried Super specialty hospital are complex (SSB), a new block for Institute of Maternal and Children's Health and the Institute of Sports Medicine. The super specialty for MCH complex was inaugurated on September 23
2006 the unity of the modern hospital was started with outpatient specialty super exclusive. After the inpatient wards also startedfunctioning. It features cutting-edge cardiac catheterization laboratory, MRI scan, digital radiography system and Doppler ultra sound. Efforts are on to establish a modern modular theater complex in this building, at a cost of 20 crore.
The renovated building IMCH built under the NRHM scheme was inaugurated by the Minister of Health on. P.K.Sreemathy teacher 18/12/2010. The minister of health on. also inaugurated the State Institute of Sports Medicine in the Medical College Campus 18:12:10. The new block of the golden jubilee for IMCH built with the help of NRHM inaugurated the Hon 'ble Minister for Home Affairs Sri status. Mullapppally Ramachandran on 27.02.2011