08-14-2014, 07:05 PM
The Bharathiar University was established at Coimbatore by the Government of Tamilnadu in February, 1982 under the provision of the Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982). The Postgraduate Centre of the University of Madras, which was functioning in Coimbatore before 1982 formed the core of the Bharathiar University. In May, 1985 the University received the recognition from University Grants Commission (UGC) New Delhi for the purpose of grants.
The University named after the great national poet Subramania Bharathi is enshrined with the motto “Educate to Elevate”. In the University, every effort is harnessed to realize his dream of making educational institutions as temple of learning. It is the aim of the University to participate in the task of inculcating necessary Knowledge, Skills and Creative Attitudes and values among the youth of the country to contribute more effectively towards establishing an equitable social and economic and secular ideal of our nation.
The University is situated at the backdrop of Maruthamalai Hills in the Western Ghat range, in a sprawling campus of 1000 acres of land. 15 kms. from the City of Coimbatore. As of now the University has 108 affiliated colleges, 96 Arts and Science Colleges, 3 University Consituent Colleges, and 1 Air Force Administration College. In addition, there are 31 Research Institutes of the State and Central Governments, which are recognized by this University for research purpose. And all these institutions cater to the educational needs of more than 1,50,000 students and research scholars.