09-27-2014, 07:04 PM
The University grew out of the Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, the great Muslim reformer and statesman who in the aftermath of the war of independence of India in 1857 believes that it is important for Muslims to get an education and to participate in public life and government in India. Raja Jai Kishan helped Sir Syed in establishing the University of
The British decision to replace the use of Persian in 1842 for government employment and as the language of the courts has caused grave concern among the Muslims of the subcontinent. Sir Syed saw the need for Muslims to acquire knowledge of the English language and Western science, if the community to support its social and political influence, especially in North India. He began to prepare the groundwork for the formation of a Muslim University by starting schools in Moradabad (1858) and Ghazipure (1863) .Its the objective of creating the scientific community in 1864, in Aligarh was a translation of Western works on Indian languages as a prelude to prepare the community to accept Western education and education scientific temperament among the Muslims. A strong desire to improve the social conditions of the Indian Muslims led Sir Syed to publish a periodical, «Tehzibul Akhlaq» in 1870.
In 1877, Sir Syed founded a college in the East of England Mukhammadali Aligarh College and the model of Oxford and Cambridge universities that he had visited on a trip to England. His goal was to build a college in tune with the British education system but without compromising its Islamic values. Sir Syed's son, Syed Mahmud, who was a graduate of Cambridge prepared a proposal for an independent university 'Mukhammadali Anglo-Oriental College Fund Committee "on his return from England in 1872. This proposal was adopted and subsequently amended. Syed Mahmood continued to work with his father in the grounds of the college.
It was one of the first purely residential educational institutions are created either by the Government or the public in India. Over the years, it creates a new class of educated Indian Muslims who were active in the political system of the British Raj. When the Viceroy of India, Lord Curzon, visited for college in 1901, he appreciated the work that had been on board and called it a "sovereign importance".
The college was initially associated with the University of Calcutta and later was associated with the Allahabad University in 1885. Near the new century, the college began to publish his own magazine, The Aligarian and created a school of law.
He was also around this time that the movement began to develop it in the university. To achieve this goal, the expansions were made and more academic programs added to the curriculum of the college. In 1907 he was created a school for girls. By 1920, the college was transformed into the Aligarh Muslim University.
Sir Syed breathed his last March 27, 1898 and was buried in the premises of the University of the mosque in the hall Sir Syed himself.